Tuesday 6 December 2016

180: Facebook shutdown

I arrived home last night to learn that my Facebook account had been shut down ... because I'm not a real person, apparently.  I cannot reactivate it, so that's it; game over.  Right now if anyone is looking for my photographs, this is where they will be, and I'll be thinking about what else to do.  It's unlikely to involve Facebook, though.
I'd love to put a photograph of how I feel about Facebook at this point but I think a photo of a large steaming pile would violate Blogger's TOS, and I haven't got many outlets left ;-) If anyone has comments or suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

5 comments:

  1. I had accounts shut down 12 times in a row over the coarse of 3 months. There are people who are so miserable with their own existence that they have nothing better to do and get the biggest thrill from reporting others, especially if you posted something they don't agree with. I had my original, real life FB page opened for years now and it has never been closed or reported. It consisted of mainly "straight" friends and family. I found the "gay" community to be the most sneaky, backstabbing and hypocritical group of people. They preach acceptance, open mindedness, free speech etc yet you post anything they don't like and they turn on you. Just my observations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I blame myself for having selected Facebook in the first place, since I was quite aware I was theoretically violating their TOS. It's clear that Facebook doesn't want my participation, though. I don't intend to be vulnerable to that kind of person any more, so I'll try to restrict myself to platforms that I fully control and that can't be shut down for that kind of reason.
      I have no idea who reported me, if indeed anyone did, so I won't speculate as to their sexual preferences or their possible motives. But today I actually find myself grateful that I've suddenly gained a whole lot of free time. So there's that.

      Delete
  2. Wow!
    This has taken me by surprise, does that mean that I take the same risk?
    Oh my God, I'm going to pass all my pictures to a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!
    This has taken me by surprise, does that mean that I take the same risk?
    Oh my God, I'm going **to export** all my images to a blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's a wise idea, if you don't have them anywhere else. If it's only pictures, you may find Flickr to be a better solution.

      Delete