Sunday 25 January 2015

102: Joseph Nussbaum sits on my deck

I finally managed to connect with Joseph Nussbaum for an interview. Joe's been a neighbour of mine for quite a while, and I've always seen him as one of the reasons why my home sim, 3Bears, has such a big presence in the artistic community. Yes, 3Bears has nightclubs and shopping, but it also has a sculpture garden and galleries and lots of public art.
     So I've been pestering Joe for quite a while to sit down for an interview and this morning it all came together. I know he's been away from SL, pretty much, for a few months now and I'm happy to say that I think this interview signals his resting period is over for the moment.  We're lucky!

[10:21] Rusty Redfield: okay, let me 
*click* punch this button -- there.
[10:22] Rusty Redfield: Okay! I'm here with my friend and neighbour Joseph Nussbaum.
[10:22] Rusty Redfield: Welcome Joe!
[10:22] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): hey Rusty!
[10:22] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): Nice to be here
[10:22] Rusty Redfield: I've known Joe 
for AGES and admired his artwork, so I've asked him for an interview and we finally connected.
[10:23] Rusty Redfield: So -- Joe, I know you've been in SL for six or seven years ...
[10:23] Rusty Redfield: 1.  Why do you stay in Second Life?  What keeps you here?
[10:23] Joseph Nussbaum 
(edward.nussbaum): I've been here certainly for a long time - I joined actually many years ago, when I was living in Europe, but left, and then returned several years later
[10:24] Rusty Redfield: I had two accounts before this one, so I'm secretly an old hand myself LOL
[10:24] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): I got involved in 
the arts here when I saw what people were actually doing!
[10:24] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): hehe - I still have my original account too
[10:24] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): which is over 8 years old :-)
[10:24] Rusty Redfield: wow
[10:24] Rusty Redfield: I suspect mine 
would be, if I could remember the password ROFL
[10:25] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): but I started my artistic endevours by creating music for scultpures
[10:25] Rusty Redfield: I should say, for those who don't know, that Joe is involved with the artistic side of the sim where I live, 3Bears
[10:25] Rusty Redfield: not only as an art producer but as a curator, is that right?
[10:26] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): Yeah - I was out of SL for a few months and have only returned inthe last few days - I needed a rest
[10:26] Rusty Redfield: I was going to ask you about that.  It's something I've heard of before, taking a break; I think 
it's healthy and I gather you agree
[10:27] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): yeah - I was working at the Ursa Gallery at 3Bears, and also running some shows and whatnot here
[10:27] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): I work now mainly with photography and video
[10:27] Rusty Redfield: yes indeed
[10:27] Rusty Redfield: well, give me a minute, we'll circle back to that
[10:27] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): ok :-)
[10:27] Rusty Redfield: right now, my OCD wants to ask the questions in order <laughing>
[10:27] Rusty Redfield: 2. What are the qualities that attract you to people in Second Life?
[10:28] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): but I started by working in music, which is my major in RL
[10:28] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): aha ok
[10:28] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): The people in SL are much freer to create here
[10:28] Rusty Redfield: yes indeed
[10:29] Rusty Redfield: It's amazing how many pathways you can follow here
[10:29] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): Everybody comes into SL with a purpose - to meet people, to create, to do all kinds of things
[10:29] Rusty Redfield: those are the two main headings, for most people I know here
[10:30] Joseph Nussbaum 
(edward.nussbaum): yeah, and my time that I have been here has been enriching; I don't just come in here to take pictures, I have become friends with people from all over the world
[10:31] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): but in the art field, I enjoy creating structures and designs that take advantage of all the technical qualities available here in SL
[10:31] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): full stop.
[10:32] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): :-)
[10:32] Rusty Redfield: well, that brings me to #3, which is where you let loose LOL
[10:32] Rusty Redfield: go ahead, tell me ...
[10:32] Rusty Redfield: 3. What are you working on, as a form of artistic expression or in order to earn money, or both?
[10:32] Rusty Redfield: more videos?  (If you give me a link, I'll add it here for people to see your work)
[10:33] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): I do it as an outlet for artistic expression, but I don't mind making money as well
[10:33] Rusty Redfield: heh heh I know, right?
[10:34] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): I have made a lot of videos using pop music as a basis, but also my own music, too.
[10:34] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): I am currently working with other artists in SL to make some more linear-type films
[10:34] Rusty Redfield: I think my long-time readers will remember a piece from last summer -- I got onto it when you showed up with five friends at a Pride dance, all in little frog avatars
[10:34] Rusty Redfield: "I Want to Marry a Lighthouse Keeper"
[10:35] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): oh yes that video was fun :-)
[10:35] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): I have video sites around the web - I will try to get the addresses here, one of them is on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgtQSpSGmeGUrGfzl6FyW0g/videos
[10:36] Rusty Redfield: there you go, thanks! That saves me a lot of detective work!
[10:36] Rusty Redfield: who are you working with on the more linear-type films these days?
[10:36] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): http://www.dailymotion.com/bmstudios
[10:37] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): this is my Dailymotion website
[10:37] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): aha - I am working with a poet - his name is Colin Bell
[10:37] Rusty Redfield: I'm not sure how to express this -- is Dailymotion for one kind of video, and Youtube for another?
[10:37] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): I am working with him and Boris Twist, another great film maker in SL
[10:38] Rusty Redfield: Yes, I know Boris, I've definitely seen his work
[10:38] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): We will be creating some videos together. You can see one on YouTube - "Haiku" - let me get the address
[10:38] Rusty Redfield: <grin> this is the one I liked on Facebook, right?
[10:38] Rusty Redfield: beautiful soundscape
[10:38] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_0TzHGBK3k
[10:39] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): yeah that was it :-)
[10:39] Rusty Redfield: from a Gertrude Stein poem
[10:39] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): I also create advertisements (video and photos) for profile shots, commercials etc
[10:39] Rusty Redfield: you surely do!
[10:40] Rusty Redfield: You've done a few pictures for me, which I loved -- not showing anyone except the BF though <laughing>
[10:40] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): I made a few films for Sabor Skytower and Buck Mischief for some of his products for sale in SL
[10:40] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): lol!
[10:40] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): I also did a photography magazine called  "Angle Works", which I might start up again
[10:41] Rusty Redfield: Are you currently showing your print work, or curating any shows here in SL?
[10:41] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): not at the moment, no. I had a show at 3Bears up until I left last year, but that's closed now. I might set up a new show this year, maybe open a little gallery on my own, but thatr remains to be seen
[10:42] Rusty Redfield: the possibilities are endless!
[10:42] Rusty Redfield: but definitely, folks, check out the video.
[10:42] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): I like to use the context of SL to create works to be shown in RL, I haven't done a lot of shows in SL, I have to admit
[10:42] Rusty Redfield: So here's a question that I always ask for the benefit of new residents in SL ...
[10:42] Rusty Redfield: 4. If you could give advice to your earlier self in the first month that you spent in Second Life, what would you say?
[10:43] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): "Stop being so quiet - get out there and make noise!"
[10:43] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): :-)
[10:43] Rusty Redfield: hahaha!
[10:43] Rusty Redfield: good one!
[10:44] Rusty Redfield: but "walk the fine line between self-expression and griefing" LOL
[10:44] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): yes! no Griefing!
[10:44] Rusty Redfield: just a couple more questions.
[10:44] Rusty Redfield: for the fashionistas and fashionistos among us --
[10:44] Rusty Redfield: 5. What do you like most about the way that your avatar looks?
[10:46] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): I've really worked hard on my avatar to try to balance the look all over - I like the way the proportions fit. I of course have had help with it - a shout out to Buck Mischief for his eye for that!
[10:46] Rusty Redfield: well, that's pretty crucial, isn't it? everyone here has had help with their av, I think
[10:47] Rusty Redfield: I've heard from many people that mentoring is an important concept here
[10:47] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): I think so too - I keep tweaking at mine, improving it bit by bit - it is a slow process to get that correct proportion
[10:47] Rusty Redfield: ohh yes
[10:47] Rusty Redfield: tweaking is a constant process
[10:48] Rusty Redfield: balancing out different measurements
[10:48] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): yep - I also have a mesh body, so I have clothing for regular avi and mesh avi
[10:48] Rusty Redfield: me too -- we were talking about that before the recorder went on
[10:48] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): and different shapes to go with each
[10:49] Rusty Redfield: I love the mesh bodies, just tough to find certain clothing "looks" to go with, say, l'Uomo
[10:49] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): yeah - it's a constant search to find new stuff all the time, but I work at it
[10:50] Rusty Redfield: <grin> it's not shopping if it's work LOL
[10:50] Rusty Redfield: so, one last question
[10:50] Rusty Redfield: 6. What’s your favourite place to spend time in Second Life?
[10:50] Rusty Redfield: (I always love to hear these because it guides me to new things to see and do)
[10:51] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): Well, I've been gone for a while, but when I was here, I stayed at 3Bears (of course); but it had great relaxed parties and quiet times between
[10:51] Rusty Redfield: that's why I've lived here for quite a while
[10:51] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): I also enjoy checking out the LEA Sims to see what people are doing in the art world
[10:51] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): the "Linden Endowmwnt for the Arts" sims
[10:52] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): that is :-)
[10:52] Rusty Redfield: ahh good
[10:52] Rusty Redfield: thanks for that, I wasn't sure what LEA was
[10:52] Rusty Redfield: but yes, I've been there and it's pretty amazing stuff
[10:53] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): yeah - of course I enjoy some of the art galleries in SL , but Im not sure if they are still around since I left lol
[10:53] Rusty Redfield: <grin> I'll give you some recommendations after we shut off the recorder
[10:53] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): cool!
[10:53] Rusty Redfield: so, Joe, I do appreciate your sitting down with me today
[10:53] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): thanks for the time, Mr Rusty
[10:53] Rusty Redfield: I always ask if there's anything you want to get off your chest, or anything I forgot to ask
[10:53] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): I have enjoyed it
[10:53] Rusty Redfield: go ahead, philosophize
[10:55] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): not sure - I think that SL offers us the ability to do much more than just one kind of thing here in SL - there are many places to hear popular forms of music, for example, and I go to them myself, and enjoy it! But there are som many other things going on that are wild and crazy , and they deserve attention as well
[10:55] Rusty Redfield: <smiling> or as I put it, it's not all dancing, shopping, and fucking
[10:55] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): lots of unusual avant'garde concerts, ambient muci, cool new builds to see
[10:55] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): exactly!
[10:55] Rusty Redfield: so MUCH out there -- dig in!
[10:56] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): that's right! go for other things!
[10:56] Rusty Redfield: well, thanks again ... I'm delighted to know you're back inworld more often now
[10:56] Joseph Nussbaum (edward.nussbaum): thanks Rusty! I am happy to be back
[10:57] Rusty Redfield: okay, now, let me find the off button here *click*


Joe's a busy guy and I was happy to get a little of his time. Check out those videos and his other work; Joe always has something going on and it's always worth seeing. 

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit the title of your article did pique my interest -- although I did think the word "deck" was a typo. Nice set of photos, and, a question -- have you been thinking about having Mr. Nussbaum sit on your "deck" for a while, and was a fantasy fulfilled by having him so do?

    ReplyDelete