Thursday 8 January 2015

097: Cupric Router sits on my deck

As I promised on the weekend, I've managed to get Cupric Router to sit down with me for an interview, and to tell me more about his new project, Radio Mosaic.  Well, as is common with my interviews, we rambled and laughed and talked about many things ... but I think you'll find my friend Coop has some interesting ideas and a lot of enthusiasm about what he's bringing to Second Life.

[14:30] Rusty Redfield: *click* switch this damn thing on -- okay.
[14:30] Rusty Redfield: Hi everyone.  I'm here with my friend Cupric Router -- just as I promised the other day
[14:30] Rusty Redfield: say hi Coop LOL
[14:30] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric) smiles
[14:30] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): Hello 
everyone. Good to be here.
[14:30] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): Good to see you Rusty.
[14:30] Rusty Redfield: he promised me an interview to talk about his new effort with Radio Mosaic, but I'll get other stuff too.
[14:31] Rusty Redfield: First of all, disclosure -- we've been friends for a while and I like to come toyour clubs
[14:31] Rusty Redfield: but like all my interviews, this one is just because you're an interesting guy doing interesting things.
[14:32] Rusty Redfield: In this case my regular readers know you have been in SL for four+ years, because they saw my piece on your 4th rezday party.
[14:32] Rusty Redfield: So -- that brings me to question #1:
[14:32] Rusty Redfield: 1.  Why do you stay in Second Life?  What keeps you here?
[14:32] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric) grins ...
[14:32] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): Some days I have to ask myself that very question. haha
[14:32] Rusty Redfield: OMG yeah
[14:33] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): But, 
that's one of the things about SL that keeps me coming back ...
[14:33] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): the ups and the downs.
[14:33] Rusty Redfield: on days when the crazies are more active than usual, right? LOL
[14:33] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): haha, exactly
[14:34] Rusty Redfield: you do a LOT of different things here, I imagine that helps to keep you coming back
[14:34] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): I come to Second Life and remain here for a number of reasons ... one is the incredible variety of creativity I see ... from designers of buildings, clothing, landscaping, artwork ....
[14:34] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): ... to performance and music.
[14:35] Rusty Redfield: I'm with you there.  And just also the people also.  I've made friends here, and I know you have too.
[14:35] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): I used to be a graphic designer in my younger years. I've since, changed careers and
don't have as much opportunity for a creative outlet. I think that SL affords me some of that opportunity, to express that bit of creativity I have pent up.

[14:36] Rusty Redfield: I hear you.  it's not like any creative outlet I've ever tried, but it certainly has one hell of a toolkit if you want to get involved in making things.
[14:37] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): The 
people. Can't live with 'em. Can't live without 'em. haha ... Actually what fascinates me most about the people I meet is the diversity of backgrounds and the global feel of it all being able to meet people from so many countries.
[14:37] Rusty Redfield: aha!! Well, that's a beautiful segue to my question #2 --
[14:37] Rusty Redfield: 2. What are the qualities that attract you to people in 
Second Life?
[14:38] Rusty Redfield: I think new residents are fascinated by these answers ... especially if they find it hard to make friends.  It's NOT who has the biggest chest or the most expensive house, right?
[14:39] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): Well, I have to confess ... I'm extremely introverted and get a lot of my energy 
renewal from having my "alone time." At the same time though, I do have a yearning to connect with people ... so, for me ... Friendliness is probably gonna be the first quality I look for.
[14:39] Rusty Redfield: Would you call that "social ease" or "social fluency"?
[14:39] Rusty Redfield: or just "outgoingness"?
[14:39] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): Someone 
who is welcoming and smiling is someone that I feel comfortable approaching and maintaining an interaction with.
[14:40] Rusty Redfield: we're talking about the same thing then, I'm sure.
[14:40] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): It's not necessarily an outgoingness ...
[14:40] Rusty Redfield: I have heard from new residents that they can't figure out why nobody talks to them -- but I often hear that they're afraid to talk to longer-term residents.
[14:41] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): it's more an openness to allowing others to interact. I think I look for that openness and friendliness to give me the go-ahead to interact. :)
[14:41] Rusty Redfield: but I agree, sheer friendliness is a powerfully attractive quality here.
[14:41] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric) chuckles
[14:41] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): I have to laugh a little at myself here ...
[14:41] Rusty Redfield: <grinning>
[14:42] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): most of my friends know that a huge thing for me is "greetings"
[14:42] Rusty Redfield: well, you aren't hard to talk to, at least not that I've found, but I'm kind of outgoing
[14:42] Rusty Redfield: so -- you think it's IMPORTANT to greet people?  Or you find it hard to remember to do it?  LOL
[14:42] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): I generally try to greet people who come to parties or who I see at other parties, and can get my feelings hurt if they don't return the greeting.
[14:42] Rusty Redfield: ahh yes
[14:43] Rusty Redfield: so, advice for new residents!! when someone says hi -- say hi back!! ROFL
[14:43] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): I realize some people are afk or busy in IM, but that, to me, is a first impression and an ice-breaker. It's just a general acknowledgment of the other person's existence.
[14:43] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): LOL
[14:44] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): my friends have to kid me about it because I can read too much into it
[14:44] Rusty Redfield: yes. If you're going to be here, BE HERE.
[14:44] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): but, I still stand by it as one of the niceties of polite interaction
[14:44] Rusty Redfield: yes indeed.  I'm Canadian, so we tend to focus on things like that -- "please" and "thank you" and "you're welcome".
[14:45] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): that must be why we get along so well, then. haha
[14:45] Rusty Redfield: So - thanks for sharing that! <belly laugh>
[14:45] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric) chuckles
[14:45] Rusty Redfield: Okay, now comes the question that's going to take us a while LOL.
[14:45] Rusty Redfield: 3. What are you working on, as a form of artistic expression or in order to earn money, or both?
[14:46] Rusty Redfield: And I know it's a long list -- but my readers want to know!!
[14:46] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric) takes a deep breath ...
[14:46] Rusty Redfield: I've teased them about your new project, Radio Mosaic, so I'm hoping to hear more about that.
[14:47] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): For starters, I've created a place called Ginger Holler ... and that started with the GINGERD(O)ME and then I've just kept adding more and more venues there as my creative itch strikes.
[14:47] Rusty Redfield: GINGERD(O)ME and Ginger Holler and the Grindery, I've danced at all three of those venues...
[14:48] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): In addition to GINGERD(O)ME, I have created Journeys, the Grove, Hollerin' Red's, SERENITY, and the GRiNDERY, which you've been to a number of times.
[14:48] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): my most recent project, as you mentioned, is RADIO MOSAIC
[14:49] Rusty Redfield: yes -- and I'm hoping to learn more about how it works and how people can get involvedwith it.
[14:49] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): I just finished building the studio and look forward to christening that soon.
[14:50] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): I've been itching to take on the challenge of running a radio station, and decided that with the new year, I'd go for it.
[14:50] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): RADIO MOSAIC is built around the idea of eclectic listening.
[14:50] Rusty Redfield: Now, I got the URL from you before -- I'll throw it in here again --
[14:50] Rusty Redfield: http://76.72.167.27:8047
[14:51] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): that means I want to have the opportunity to share various genres of music that appeal to me
[14:51] Rusty Redfield: So you can actually make this the music channel for your land?  I'm not sure how to do that --
[14:52] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): Hottie B. Lockjaw has been a tremendous support in encouraging me to "go for it," and has been a great sounding board for ideas as I work through them. I call him my C.E.O. (Chief Encouragement Officer) for MOSAIC.
[14:52] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric) smiles
[14:52] Rusty Redfield: ah yes, we have to mention that Hotboy Lockjaw is involved --
[14:52] Rusty Redfield: he has such a great joie de vivre
[14:53] Rusty Redfield: he's always having fun and he communicates that to everyone when he's DJing -- as do you (if case you haven't been to one of their parties, Coop and Hottie frequently share DJing duties, an hour at a time)
[14:53] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): Yes, and he gives me that extra push I need when I start to have doubts as I tackle projects.
[14:55] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): So, how it works is, it's an internet radio station, and the URL can be dropped into your parcel so you can listen to it on your land. Basically just as you would any music stream you come across.
[14:55] Rusty Redfield: ah yes -- if you know how to do that.  <grin> help us challenged types out ---
[14:55] Rusty Redfield: where do I look for that menu?
[14:57] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): You find that under "World" then "Parcel Details" then go to the "Sound" tab.
[14:57] Rusty Redfield: ahhh yes.
[14:57] Rusty Redfield: then just copy and paste the URL I gave above into that space! Seems easy enough.
[14:58] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): exactly
[14:58] Rusty Redfield: So you hope that lots of people will do that for their parcels, I guess?
[14:58] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): Of course, I'm just getting everything set up, and enjoying the learning process, so I'm sure there will be a few glitches and bumps along the road. But that's part of what it's all about, right?
[14:59] Rusty Redfield: and you mentioned that you were going to bring in other people to expand the range of musical styles that you offer ...
[14:59] Rusty Redfield: have someone curate an hour of country and western, or something like that?
[15:00] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): And, yes, that is a goal, for people to tune in while they're working on projects on their sims, or for them to come out to the live parties when we have them. I guess it's just an expansion of "sharing music" that I enjoy doing when I DJ.
[15:01] Rusty Redfield: I know I certainly like the dance music that you guys provide so I think I'll set my parcel to your channel -- which will keep me happy! LOL
[15:01] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): yes, I have some talent lined up for people who enjoy a specific genre, to take the controls for an hour or two and lay their stuff out as well.
[15:01] Rusty Redfield: And all the dance venues will continue -- is there a specific group that people should join to get alerted about where and when parties are held?
[15:02] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): I want it to have a bit of the public radio feel, in that people will gravitate to certain time slots that play a certain genre that appeals to them.
[15:03] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): The RADIO MOSAIC group will announce the club parties as well as special events or shows appearing on the radio. So that would be the best place to get up-to-the-minute information on what's going on with the station as well as what's up in the Holler. hehe
[15:03] Rusty Redfield: ohhhh I see.  Yes, that definitely works.  If you set your focus too narrow, you never learn about new stuff that you might like.  I didn't know until recently I like electro-swing, for instance!
[15:04] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric) grins wide
[15:04] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): I like when people discover things they didn't know they liked.
[15:04] Rusty Redfield: okay! Well, I can't thikn of anything more that people need to know to get hooked up with this channel, can you?
[15:05] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): um ... Radio MOSAIC, Radio MOSAIC, Radio MOSAIC .... haha
[15:05] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): There. Say it enough and it will stick in their minds. :)
[15:05] Rusty Redfield: But if you just show up for a party somewhere like the Grindery, there will be people around who will be happy to help you, right?
[15:05] Rusty Redfield: And I can tell you from personal experience, the Grindery parties are great.  People actually talking and enjoying each other's company.
[15:06] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): exactly, and there are kiosks located at the club that folks can click on to join or get information. They can always IM me to find assistance if they need it.
[15:06] Rusty Redfield: Okay! Then we've done everything but put their hand on the mouse LOL. Good!
[15:06] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): I'm so glad you enjoy that. That's been the goal of the parties all along. :)
[15:07] Rusty Redfield: Now I have a question that appeals to my audience of new residents ...
[15:07] Rusty Redfield: 4. If you could give advice to your earlier self in the first month that you spent in Second Life, what would you say?
[15:10] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): I would warm myself to take things slowly and get your bearing before jumping into things too heavily. There is so much visual, audio, interpersonal variety coming at you, it can be overwhelming. And not everyone is here for the same reasons ... just to be aware of that.
[15:11] Rusty Redfield: Oh yes, I certainly agree. I was naive and thought that everyone was here to have innocent fun <grins>.
[15:11] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): hahaha
[15:11] Rusty Redfield: <smiling> well, quite a few are.  But not everyone.
[15:11] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): it's all innocent and fun until someone pokes an eye out. :{P
[15:12] Rusty Redfield: We're getting near the end -- only two more questions.
[15:12] Rusty Redfield: 5. What do you like most about the way that your avatar looks?
[15:14] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): I spent a lot of time trying to make my avatar a representation of my real life appearance to some degree. I'm a redhead in RL, and have found that I'm exploring a sense of new-found Ginger pride which was not present in my earlier years growing up.
[15:15] Rusty Redfield: heh heh well, I started life as a redheaded Rusty, so I sympathize
[15:15] Rusty Redfield: it's REALLY tough to be a redhead here!! Takes a lot of work!
[15:16] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): well, it's also tough to be a redhead in RL. haha
[15:16] Rusty Redfield: I guess -- I sure wanted to try it out here.  My sister is a redhead.
[15:16] Rusty Redfield: But redhead skins are easier to get now than they were years ago.
[15:16] Rusty Redfield: And a good range of redhead hair
[15:17] Rusty Redfield: So you're like me, in SL you want to look something like you do in RL
[15:18] Rusty Redfield: I'm not *quite* this goodlooking in RL though <snickers>
[15:18] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): Yes, well, beyond the "fad" of it all, I'm most proud that I put together my avatar back when there was much less available for us reds. And, yes, I want to be a representation of my RL self, but here as an avatar.
[15:18] Rusty Redfield: you're definitely standing up for the gingers, and even us former gingers appreciate it!
[15:19] Rusty Redfield: Okay, one more question ...
[15:19] Rusty Redfield: 6. What’s your favourite place to spend time in Second Life?
[15:19] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric) grins
[15:19] Rusty Redfield: yes, it's okay to say your own sim ROFL
[15:20] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): Well ... having already mentioned I'm an introvert ... I'm gonna have to admit ... it's spending time at home. (That home including all of Ginger Holler). I even built a drive-in theater where on Tuesdays, we have movie night and just chill.
[15:20] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): You should come join us sometime. :)
[15:21] Rusty Redfield: oh! I was JUST looking at getting one of those screens yesterday!
[15:21] Rusty Redfield: yes please!
[15:21] Rusty Redfield: for me it's wherever my friends are, but I do confess that I like my home enviroinment a lot.
[15:22] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): Well, I'll have to send you a text this coming Tuesday to get on over for movie night. :)
[15:22] Rusty Redfield: I was hoping when I started asking that question to get hints about cool places to go in SL, but most people say "home/friends" ... which I actually like as an answer.  Proves that SL is not that different.
[15:22] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric) nods
[15:22] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): that's very true
[15:23] Rusty Redfield: That's all my questions, but I do always offer people a chance to say whatever they want at the end of the interview.  Philosophy, advice, rants -- anything you like.
[15:23] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): I don't have a particular rant ... today. haha
[15:23] Rusty Redfield: maybe #7 should be "What didn't I ask you that I should have?"
[15:24] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): I do want to thank you for inviting me to your place for this chat.
[15:24] Rusty Redfield: My pleasure!
[15:24] Rusty Redfield: glad we finally managed to get it done! I've wanted to for a while.
[15:24] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): I also want to thank you for your enthusiasm and support for the Grindery.
[15:25] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): Your reaction and feel about the place is exactly what I have hoped that many people feel.
[15:25] Rusty Redfield: LOL well, let ME rant for a minute then.  If people don't support the things in SL that they enjoy -- then they will go away.  So if you like something, support it with your Lindens if you can, but at the very least SAY SOMETHIGN to people about it.
[15:26] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): That's what I have to compliment you on. You definitely do promote and support the things you like.
[15:26] Rusty Redfield: <grin> It's because I'm too lazy to find new things to do <laughing>
[15:27] Rusty Redfield: and we all want creative enthusiastic people like you to keep having great parties!!
[15:27] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric) smiles
[15:27] Rusty Redfield: well, thanks very much for sitting down with me, Coop -- it's been great.
[15:27] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): much appreciated
[15:27] Cᴜᴘʀɪᴄ Rᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ (cupric): it's been my pleasure.

[15:27] Rusty Redfield: Okay, let me just find the off button here *click*

So set your music channel to Radio Mosaic -- and maybe I'll see you some night dancing at the Grindery.  Thanks, Coop!

No comments:

Post a Comment